Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Almost Home

In 24 hours my plane will be touching down in Atlanta and I'll finally be home. My year long deployment is all but over and I must say I feel relieved.

I'm still at Fort Bliss but all of my redeployment tasks (like turning in gear and filling out forms) is done, so all I have to do now is wait until tomorrow morning to get on a plane and fly home.

Although it feels like I have left Iraq behind me, it seems to have followed me here.

I learned yesterday that one of my friends in Iraq was killed by an IED.

His name was Phil and he was a fellow contracting officer.

Phil and I first met when I was attending the Naval Post Graduate School and we were both surprised when we ran into each other again in Iraq. Phil was a Navy officer and was very well respected within our command.

Phil was traveling outside of the IZ to oversee construction of a new Iraqi Justice Facility. Phil's convoy was hit by an IED and he and two others were killed.

I spent time with Phil just 2 days before I left Iraq and its very hard to beleive that he is now dead.

Phil was dedicated to our mission in Iraq and I am proud to say that I served along side of him.

Although Phil almost made it to his home in the US, I'd like to think that has been welcomed Home as the Hero that he is.

Although my deployment in Iraq has come to an end, the mission there goes on.

7 Comments:

At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Bill. You might not think much of it, but you are honoring him by letting the world know about him on your blog. What you wrote is beautiful...
Love,
Joy

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,
Phil's Family is in our Prayers!
We are so glad that you are home safe. Take care! Can't wait to see you!!
LOVE,
DAD M.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Billy,

So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Phil. You are a kind and dear person and we are certain that he will forever live on in you and in all the many other people whose lives he has touched. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Phil and his family and friends.

On a more selfish note...Welcome Home!

Love, Roger, Michele and Bethany

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sympathies at the loss of your friend and comrade.
Your words are a great tribute.
His family is in our prayers.

LYM
DCE

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

We are very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Phil's family.

Changing gears...

We welcome you home and again thank you for all you do for our country. It certainly means a great deal. Please know that your sacrifice means much to so many people and that you are appreciated. Now it is time for you to enjoy all that you have been defending and protecting.

Welcome Home!

Stevie-T and Izabella

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Home and may God be with you and all our service people through out the world. Our prayers are with the family of your friend Phil who gave his life for the cause.

I have enjoyed your updates from the other side of the world.

Joe Tyburski (Steve's dad)

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,
Deepest sympathy for the loss of your friend and our fellow American. Phil and his family as well as your and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. And, I will ask our church to add you to our prayer list.

Thank you for your service to our country and its citizens. Welcome home.

Barbara B.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Kennedy Western University Online