Saturday, February 17, 2007

13.1 Miles through the IZ








This morning I ran a Half Marathon through the International Zone. The race was in conjunction with the Austin (Texas) Marathon.

I finished the race in 1 hour and 55 minutes. My goal had been to complete the run in less than 2 hours, so I was very pleased with the results.

The best part of the race was that it went past all of the “historic sites” in Baghdad. I ran by the new American Embassy that is being built, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and the Crossed Swords.

My favorite part was when we ran straight down the parade field that the Republican Guards used to march down in order to impress Saddam. As I ran under the Crossed Swords and then pass the Saddam’s old reviewing stands, I had R.E.M. blaring into my ears from my MP3 player and I raised a single finger salute to where Saddam used to review his troops. To me, it was one final act of defiance towards the infamous man who played a noteworthy role throughout my military career.

This was a great way for me to mark the beginning of the end of my deployment over here. My year long marathon will end on or about April 4th.

Only 45 days until I take my final ride out of the IZ and begin my journey home!


2 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!! I have no concept of what a good time would be,but 1:55 sounds great to me! The salute is very appropriate for all you have done!
Can't wait to see you home!!
Love, Dad M.

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are unbelievable, Billy!!! I'm so PROUD of you. What an awesome feeling...for SO many reasons. Counting down the days with you til you're home...yeah!!!
Love,
Joy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Kennedy Western University Online