Monday, January 29, 2007

Home away from home… (Not quite!)





In this blog entry, I thought I would give you a look at my living conditions over here. I live in a “trailer park” directly behind one of Saddam’s old palace. You can probably get a general idea of how things are laid out. There are rows and rows of these trailers and each are fortified with high walls of sandbags. To answer your question, I do feel relatively safe inside them.

The room is what you make of it. I purchased risers for my bed so that I could stow my bags and footlocker underneath it.

Fortunately, I have had roommates who are clean and not jerks. Nothing can ruin a perfectly good deployment like having a jerk for a roommate. And to be honest with you, with the hours I work over here, I hardly see my roommate other than when we get up in the morning.

But this brings up a good point, what the heck am I doing with a roommate to begin with? Why, when I was newly commissioned Second Lieutenant, I never saw a Lieutenant Colonel, or even a Major for that matter, get tagged with a having to have a roommate. Being a field grade officer back then got you something back then. All these perks seem to be just out of my reach during the past 18 years. Just another example of how things have changed. These young kids today don’t realize how good they have it.

To give you an idea of what they are like inside: when you walk through the front door, you will immediately see the bathroom and then on either side is a bedroom shared by 2 people, so, 4 men share the bathroom. Looking at the photo, you’ll see that each room is just big enough for two beds, two wall lockers, a AC/Heater unit, a small “dorm room type” refrigerator, and a TV/DVD combo.

I actually have pretty good compared to other locations. At some camps, people live in trailers without bathrooms and have to walk down the way to a bathroom/shower trailer to do their business. At least I’m able to just take a few steps in the middle of the night if nature calls.

Also, since I’m located within the perimeter of the palace, I’ve got a swimming pool just down the road (too cold right now to use), a coffee shop where I can read and hang out in at night, and lots of open room for me to run in the morning.

I do have the option of moving to a different area where I would have a room to myself, but it would be a smaller room and would have the “amenities” that my trailer park at the palace has (such as the pool close by and the open area to run).

But my living conditions here are great compared to what I have endured in the past.

In another example of “how things have changed”, during my first deployment to Iraq back in 1991 for Operation Desert Storm (you know, during the war where we “should have finished the job”, as oppose to this war where “we had no business coming hereto finish the job) I spent most of my nights sleeping on the ground or at best, on a cot (supplied by National Guard units along the Eastern sea board…don’t ask, inside joke).

Maybe I shouldn’t complain too much about having a roommate.

4 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the Army.
You're lucky you're not still running a floor buffer.
ARNG cots were the best maintained cots in the Total Army and contibuted significantly to the overall victory.

LYM
DCE

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see you have somewhat secure and "comfortable" quarters. We are anxious to see you home! I am up early and e-mailing some of pictures/videos that I took on Newnan visit.
Stay safe and be careful!!
LOVE,
DAD M.

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see you have somewhat secure and "comfortable" quarters. We are anxious to see you home! I am up early and e-mailing some of pictures/videos that I took on Newnan visit.
Stay safe and be careful!!
LOVE,
DAD M.

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good thing all the ladys I have been dating do not have this site I have been telling them I lived in a fox hole the whole time!...

April is comming soon hang in there!

let me know when you get home ...ok?
bob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Kennedy Western University Online