Tuesday, May 02, 2006

5 Complete Rows!


Well, I have been here longer than a month now, so that entitles me to wear the “Iraq Freedom Campaign Ribbon” on my Class A uniform. (The Army stipulates that you have to be in the combat zone for 30 days before you officially being recognized as had participated in this particular campaign. This stops people from showing up for a day or so and then declaring themselves as being an “Iraqi Freedom Vet”.)


Once I add that ribbon, I will have 5 complete rows of ribbons adorning my uniform. The standard row consists of 3 ribbons (or medals) that a soldier has earned. With this campaign ribbon, I now have 5 complete rows (15 different medals) and now must get ready to start my 6th row.

An accomplishment?

Something to brag about?

Perhaps.

Certainly there was a time when I thought so.

Back in ROTC, we cadets cherished the ribbons that we wore and would view them as a way to measure up against each other. Coming home from Desert Storm, I ensured that my fellow Second Lieutenants saw that I had the “Iraq Rack” of no less than 3 different ribbons, awarded to me for my service during that war, included on my uniform to show that I had been somewhere that many of them had not.

Through the years (and through the deployments I ventured on), my “rack” continued to grow and continued to impress more and more people; myself included. After “the Storm”, I got the “Bosnia Set” of ribbons that put me over the 3 row level and along the way I accumulated many ribbons based on individual achievements. Before I knew it, I had an array of multi-colored devices compiled on top of one another pinned upon my chest that stood out against the dull green background of my uniform.

Now, don’t get me wrong. Indeed, I am very proud of my ribbons and can quickly explain to you the name of each one and how it was earned. I will never disgrace my ribbons by throwing them to the wind like a politician who will remain nameless. I will kerry my ribbons with me forever. In fact, when my time in the military is over, I intend to display these ribbons in a place of honor within our house.

But as I accumulate birthdays as well as ribbons, I think the medals are becoming less a source of pride for me than some other multi-colored signs of accomplishments that I have started to compile.

I can’t help but think that these ribbons resemble the many different finger paintings and crayon drawings that my kids have produced over the past 5 or so years. And I can’t help but feel an even stronger sense of pride as I watch those drawing start racking up on top of each other on our refrigerator back home.

Maybe when I get home, I’ll place all 5 complete rows of ribbons on the refrigerator and have them blend in with the drawings my kids have made. But then again, that would take up room as my kids begin work on their 6th complete row of drawings.

Drawings that I would probably trade in all my ribbons for.

5 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah but BB has a tab.
Proud of you dude.
Stay safe.
LYM DCE

 
At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you, Bill.
Joy

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite post so far... what an awesome Daddy!

Love,
Mommy

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daddy --

I think your ribbons look really nice, and I am going to draw a picture of them.

I had a great day at school today -- can I earn a ribbon?

Oh, and one more thing. I like your mustache over there, but don't come in our house with it. It looks yucky (but you can look yucky over there if you want). I love you no matter what, Daddy.

Love,
Gabrielle

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Kennedy Western University Online