Thursday, July 13, 2006

100th Day!


Well I have now been here for 100 days and what better way to commemorate that milestone than to find out that I have been selected to be promoted to Lieutenant Colonel.

I am very humbled by this. It’s been a long time in the making and may very well be the last promotion that I experience in my military career.

The Army published the list this afternoon (my time), so I had thought that I would need to patiently way by my computer all day long to find out the results. However, my commanding general over here had other plans.

This morning, all us military types were told to report to the General’s conference room for a special meeting concerning reassignments. Major General Scott informed us that he had gotten word for Washington that he had to give up 3 Majors. He then turned to me and two other officers and said, “I guess that means we will just have to make Lockard a Lieutenant Colonel so he can stay here.”

It takes a lot to surprise me, but I never saw that coming. He then went through an Air Force tradition (he is an Air Force General) by ripping off my Major rank and “punching” my new rank on.

Now although, I have not been officially promoted to this new rank, in accordance with another Air Force tradition, General Scott told me to wear the rank for the rest of the day. I didn’t feel right about wearing the new rank until I had the promotion orders in my hand, so I compromised and wore both. So for the rest of the day I was unofficially a “Lieutenant Major” or a “Major Colonel”.

Depending on when the Army starts to promote off this new list, I will probably be able to wear the rank full time starting in October or November. Until then I will have to settle with being know as Major Promotable Lockard.

All is well here.

13 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

CONGRATULATIONS! Looking at your sequence number you should pin on by the end of the year. Well deserved, congrats again.

William Trimble

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that powerful AF punch didn't hurt too much.
Congrats.

LYM
DCE

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Bill.

Jim McD

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You the man!!! Just call me...
Unbelievably Proud
(or Joy)

 
At 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bill- I am very proud of you!!!!
DAD M.

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story, but the day Bill found out about being promoted to Major tops even that story... August 16, 2000, the day our daughter Gabrielle was born. "Major Dad". Congratulations -- we're all so proud of you! Newly Catholic and soon-to-be LTC... all in the same week!

Love,
Mara

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bill, from all of us back here, for a job well done. Thanks also for sharing your year with us. Stay well and God Bless.

Joe Tyburski

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, but you will always be a "Major" to me . . . major goofball. Ha!

Really, we are all proud of you. Tammy and the boys say hello.

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bill!

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bill!

~Mike McD

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

Congratulations War hero.
Now, you will earn even more tax-free money. I'm sure you would gladly trade it for time with your family any day.

Keep up the good work.

Tony Satterfield

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

That is fantastic news. You certainly deserve it. We are all thinking of you over here. Stay safe.

Jim

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Fantastic news, and certainly well deserved. Stay safe, and god bless. Look forward to seeing you soon stateside.

-Craig

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Kennedy Western University Online