Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Happy Independence Day!



Hello All!

Here's to 230 years of independence from our British Overlords!

I was actually able to take the day off yesterday and enjoy the day. I slept in, cleaned my room, swam in the pool, ate a huge steak dinner and then topped it off by watching a great concert featuring several military bands (including the Royal British Marine Band).

Another very cool thing happened yesterday. An American flag was flown over the U.S. Embassary here in Iraq in my honor. And this wasn't just any American flag. This particular American flag was flown over the U.S. Capitol in 1996 and was presented to me by a U.S. Senator while I was in Bosnia. Ever since then, whenever I deploy out of the country, this American Flag deploys with me. It has traveled with me throughout the United States, in Bosnia, in Hungary, in Austria, in Germany, in Kuwait, in Egypt, and now Iraq.

Now I was not present when the flag was actually sent up the flag pole becuase there was probably hundreds of flags to be flown that day for many of our soldiers. But I was presented with this certificate and very nice aerial photo of the embassay.

LET FREEDOM RING!

5 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

Once again, THANK YOU and all of the other serving to protect our freedom.

God Bless,

Jim McD

 
At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so interesting about your flag. I think its great that the government does this sort of thing for our soldiers. I have enjoyed your blog VERY much. I keep learning things and have some chuckles along the way (nice stache). Thanks for sharing. Know that there are a lot of people out there thinking of you.

Kindly, Laura T

(Sister of Steve. It was so great to see Mara, your beautiful kids, Joy and Mrs. M at his wedding.)

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's amazing, Billy. Once again, I am so proud of your service. And love you very much...
Your sis-in-law,
Joy :)

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you,Bill.You are always in my thoughts and prayers.History of your flag is awesome!!!
LOVE-Dad M.

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill:
Craig, Jr. just sent me your site. First, congrats on becoming an 05. I knew that once you decided to stay in you'd become a colonel. FYI, I'm now a VP at ManTech International. We've got over 200 people in Iraq, and I hope they're gettin' you what you need. Now that I have your site, I'll keep checking on you. Stay safe! We couldn't be more proud of you and all your buddies. --Skip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Kennedy Western University Online